[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Q Factors

  Bert, All -

  Please excuse the omission of R in the equation
   Q = 6.283 x F x L/R
  This is the same R that I also mentioned with Q and Vs that could not be
found by tests. This R can only be found after Q is found. Q is calculated
from the log dec which can be found by tests. However, finding the log dec
by the use of waveforms is not a simple matter. Several conditions must be
maintained that complicates the test. I made these types of tests several
years ago when writing my books.

  After finding the true Q factor the secondary voltage can be found by the
equation
   Vs = Q Vp  and   Q = Vs/Vp
  This is a fundamental equation in the concept of Q factors. The
derivation of this equation and the best article I have seen on the Q
factor is in the Booton Radio Notebook of spring 1954. Boonton made a Q
meter that was the standard of the world. The meter uses a test circuit
that utilizes the above equation. I use this circuit in one of my books to
show a coiler how he can test a coil for the Q factor. It should be
understood that these are not TC operation Q factors. It is interesting to
compare Q factors obtained from this meter or a bridge meter with the Q
factors obtained using the half power test.

  The Q factor is used in many ways. With iron core transformers the
secondary voltage is equal to the primary voltage times the ratio of
winding turns. With a Tesla coil which is a resonant air core transformer
the secondary voltage is equal to the primary voltage times the Q factor.
Note that the resonant rise in voltage of a resonant circuit is the Q factor.

  The TC output voltage is directly related to the input wattage by the
equation
    Vs = sqrt(2W/(CsxBKS))
  The W is equal to the input watt seconds times an efficiency at a
particular point in the secondary circuit (this is not the overall
efficiency). This is one of several reasons why the Vs increases with an
increase in the input wattage.

  The history of Q factors is a little known but interesting story. The
story begins with Kenneth Johnson about 1914 when he was working on
telephone circuits for the Bell Telephone Labs. In his calculations he was
working with a ratio of reactance to resistance (Q = X/R) and needed a
letter to represent this ratio. Q was not selected to represent the quality
of a coil. It was the only letter of the alphabet that wasn't already being
used by electrical engineers. Note that Q is the reciprocal of the
dissipation factor.

  It appears that no one (including myself) has been able to coordinate the
seven key equations that I show and that are involved in the operation of
Tesla coils. I have been working on this for several years. The present
literature is of little use. I am still reseaching the problem.

  Does anyone have any ideas?

  John Couture