[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arrays of motor capacitors

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 16:37:18 -0600, you wrote:

>Original Poster: Aric_C_Rothman-at-email.whirlpool-dot-com (Aric C Rothman)
>
>     I'm contemplating assembling a capacitor for TC use by serially
>     chaining a bunch of equal-valued motor run capacitors.  The total
>     voltage rating (at 60 Hz) would be 99,000V (conservatively derating by
>     half to 49,500) for TC service, which, assuming a low absorption
>     dielectric, should work nicely in a 15kV NST powered coil.
>
>     I believe the dielectric in the caps is PP, and they are oil filled.
>     I would put them in a wooden box with compartments to isolate their
>     cans.
>
>     Will such a setup work,

No, The series resistance and inductance would be far too high to do
anything sensible with a TC.

> or will I have a bunch of flaming oil-filled
>     grenades?
Unlikely
   _/ L_/  Mike Harrison / White Wing Logic / wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk  _/ L_/
 _/ W_/  Hardware & Software design / PCB Design / Consultancy  _/ W_/
/_W_/  Industrial / Computer Peripherals / Hazardous Area      /_W_/