[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Forget pastic pop bottles use beer bottles.

Plastic pop bottles do have a intrinsic appeal for some reason but I
believe that the unanimous and fair verdict of the vast majority of
the list contributers is that plastic pop bottles are useless for TC
capacitor projects. I tried them like the rest of you and they were
quickly perforated at 15kV AC. On the other hand I believe that the
best quick and dirty home brew cap presented so far is the clear beer
bottle variation on the classic Leyden jar. I am half way through the
materials gathering phase of the construction a sixpack of these fine
beers I mean caps as I write this letter : ) The way I have been
making them is to take some aluminum foil and wrap a beer bottle with
it. Hold the foil in place by wrapping tightly with packing tape,
don't forget the electrode wire. Now fill the bottle 2/3s full of salt
water also pour in a little mineral oil to prevent surface conduction
breakdown. Now drop in an metal electrode and you have a decent high
voltage cap. The questions I have now are. 1) How much capacitance do
you normally get from your average 12 oz beer bottle. 2) What  is the
practical TC AC voltage rating for such a capacitor. 3) What is the
best electrolyte to use of all the commonly available and cheap
substances CuSO4, NaCl,  or ??.  4) Will the ESR, equivalent series
resistance, of such a cap really suck?

Thanks All
adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com