[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Controling a Pole Pig

Hello Jim, All

Steve
 >     I do have a related question though, I have 2 pigs, and was wondering
 if I
 > could use one of them as a variable inductor by putting a variable gap in
 the
 > core and then putting the 240V side of both pigs in parallel, not
connecting
 > anything to the 11 kV side of the gapped pig. Does anyone have any
 > experience of
 > this, will it work?

Jim Lux wrote:
 YEs something like this will work... This is how inexpensive welders set
 the current. They have a core with lots of extra room in the middle
 (where the windings are. Then, they have a piece of core (the shunt)
 which slides in and out, changing the leakage inductance, as you turn
 the handle (which operates a lead screw or other mechanism). When the
 shunting core is all the way out it is max current, all the way in is
 minimum.
SNIP

One aspect which I think should be mentioned is that these magnetic shunts are
place 90° to the magnetic flow thru the core. This way the disrupt the normal
path of the magnetic field more effectively.

coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard