[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big TC design

In a message dated 12/2/98 10:08:17 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai"<Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>

 What I am wrestling with now is a rough design of secondary and primary
 coils:

 - secondary 15" wide by 60" high, 931 turns, 73 mH, 112/62 kHz
 - toroid 10" section 60" outside diameter 62 pF
 - primary spiral 18" inner diameter, 12 turns, 128 uH
 - --> Primary capacitor must be 0.056 uF

 I would like to maximize the capacitor size, to be able to pump more energy
 into the primary. The problem is that, having a big secondary, I must have
 a big primary inner diameter too. With just 12 turn of primary my capacitor
 (required to be tuned) drops down to 0.056 uF. I would have liked at least
 a 0.1 uF...One possibility is to use only 8 turns (--> Cap = 0.123 uF).

 With 0.056 uF and 20 kV the cap energy would go up to 11.3 Joules, while
 with 0.123 uF up to 24.6 Joules.

 Any suggestions anybody?

Marco,

This is indeed a big coil.  I did some reverse calculating and it looks like
your planned toroid capacitance is only about 60 to 70 pf.  I have almost that
much on my 6.0" coil.  I would think you would want one or maybe several very
large toroids for this coil.  That will decrease the resonant frequency even
further and require more tank capacitance.  I think designing the system to
use .10 uf would be a good idea.  I use a .05 uf cap with my system.

Ed Sonderman