[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil design questions.

to: Larry

Dig out some older editions of ARRL's Radio Amateur's Handbook and do some
reading on resonant freq section --- it explains it very well.  In short,
you need to achieve only critical coupling.  Once you pass this point the
resonant peak starts to split into two separate frequencies --- one above
and one the same distance below the desired resonant freq.  You end up
pumping power into two freqs that then start beating against each other and
begin doing all sorts of destructive things to your sec coil and if
reflected into the primary your caps and xmfrs.  In most small and medium
size TCs critical coupling is reached around 0.18 to 0.22.  The archive
section details how to check your coupling.  Adjustment is by raising the
sec coil until you hit the right value.  A flat primary spiral provides
almost perfect critical coupling and you never need to use a cone unless
your coil is 2 inches in dia or less.  You never want to maximize coupling
in a classic Tesla oscillator circuit.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net