[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big TC design

In a message dated 12/4/98 2:43:51 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< >This is indeed a big coil.  I did some reverse calculating and it looks
 like
 >your planned toroid capacitance is only about 60 to 70 pf.  I have almost
 that
 >much on my 6.0" coil.  I would think you would want one or maybe several
 very
 >large toroids for this coil.  That will decrease the resonant frequency
 even
 >further and require more tank capacitance.  I think designing the system
 >use .10 uf would be a good idea.  I use a .05 uf cap with my system.

 >Ed Sonderman

 Correct, I planned a 60 pF toroid.

 - What kind of output are you getting with your 60 pF toroid?

 - Is it a single streamer or not?

 - Did you try with bigger/smaller toroids?

 - How much power your coil uses?

Marco,

The longest sparks I have got to date are 104".  This is using a 14.4 kv
transformer at about 8 kva.  I have only one 5" x 33" toroid and one 5" x 40"
and I use them both.  I have not tried more but I think the system could drive
it as I get breakout at about one half power.  Not a single streamer, more
like several at once.

Ed Sonderman