[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Quenching

In particular to Terry Fritz:

If my big TC resonance frequency is, say, 62 kHz, its period is 1/62000 =
16 us. Two things I don't understand:

- you have always been telling that, for optimal operation, the spark gap
must quench just after the primary first oscillation period i.e. 16 us
after the bang start. (I don't remember how do you call that "period"). If
I use a rotary gap, what happens in terms of performance if I run fast,
small electrodes ---> spark time less than 16 us?

- If after a certain time the gap quenches (i.e. opens) how current can
keep flowing into the primary? How the primary can still oscillate? Does it
do it through all the tank supply (across the spark gap)?

- doesn't a limited discharge time ( < 16 us) of the primary capacitor mean
also that I don't use all the energy stored in the primary capacitor for
the bang?