[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Variac brush repair

I have  a Superior Electric Powerstat 120V/15A variac whose brushes are
just about at the end of their life.  While my first choice would be to
simply buy a new set of brushes, I fear this may be hard to come by.  If
anyone knows if it is possible to buy replacement brushes, please do let
me know!

Anyway, I was considering the possibility of repairing the old brushes.
They appear to be brass blocks with a carbon brush soldered into a notch.
While I'm sure I could find another carbon brush and machine it down to
size, I'm not certain about how it's secured in that brass notch, I doubt
that carbon is solderable unless it's copper plated.  Has anyone else
attemped such a repair?

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA