[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Saturable reactors?

At 02:04 PM 12/14/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Original Poster: alfred.skrocki.sr-at-juno-dot-com (Alfred A Skrocki)
>
>On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 23:40:14 -0700 in the Tesla List
>Tony Greer <NeonGlow-at-webtv-dot-net> wrote:
>
>>Hi Bill, Marco, Scott, & coilers all!

Somewhere I read about a hack that turns an AC induction motor into a
variac. You slide the rotor in and out of the stator. The rotor windings are
not used. The rotor is immobilized (but still vibrates) and the stator
windings are used.

> But for a couple of years now I have been
>intrigued with the possibility of using an even less known circuit;
>the gyrator
> The problem with the gyrator is it uses an operational
>amplifier to make the capacitor appear as an inductor

The central problem for our Tesla-coiling context. You must have a mechanism
for controlling energy (the semiconductor op-amp) for its application. And
that is power dissipative. Inductors save their energy in the magnetic
field, then release it. Your gyrator would function as a resistor, requiring
massive hot power transistors to be any fun.