[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Weird Magnifier output

Hi Dwight,
    The following may help:

    TRIPLE RESONANCE PULSE TRANSFORMER CIRCUIT
    F. M. Bieniosek
    Review of Scientific Instruments 61,(6), June 1990

+ACI-1.  INTRODUCTION

    Circuits for pulse charging high voltage pulse forming lines (PFL)
are generally based either on a Marx generator or on a pulse
transformer.  Pulse transformer driven circuits are typically designed
to operate as a Tesla, or double resonance circuit.  When the circuit
is tuned to resonance, energy is efficiently transformed from an
energy storage capacitor to the PFL.  However, the simple equivalent
circuit model for a Tesla transformer neglects the internal
capacitance of the transformer.  The presence of the additional
capacitance in the circuit can significantly affect circuit operation.
A modified circuit design that takes into account the internal
capacitance was patented in 1989.

(in a three coil system)  A resonant condition may be found at which
100+ACU- of the energy initially stored in the capacitor C1 is transferred
to the capacitor C3.  The circuit becomes resonant if the voltages v1
and v2 and their time derivatives dv1/dt and dv2/dt, are zero when the
PFL (essentially a capacitive load for C3) voltage v3 reaches its
peak.  THIS CAN ONLY OCCUR WHEN THE NORMAL MODE FREQUENCIES (I.E.,
PRIMARY SYSTEM, SECONDARY BY ITSELF, AND EXTRA COIL WITH TOROID) ARE
IN THE RATIO OF WHOLE NUMBERS..............................THE TWO
SIMPLEST RESONANT MODES, WHICH ARE ALSO THE MODES OF GREATEST
PRACTICAL INTEREST, ARE THOSE IN WHICH THE THREE NORMAL MODE
FREQUENCIES OF THE COUPLED CIRCUIT ARE IN THE RATIOS 1:2:3 AND

(My interpretation.)