[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Saturable reactors?

At 06:35 PM 12/16/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Original Poster: alfred.skrocki.sr-at-juno-dot-com (Alfred A Skrocki)
>
>On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:46:36 -0700 in the Tesla List
>Scott Stephens <Scott2-at-mediaone-dot-net> wrote:
>
>>Somewhere I read about a hack that turns an AC induction motor >into a
>variac. You slide the rotor in and out of the stator. The >rotor windings
>are not used. The rotor is immobilized (but still >vibrates) and the
>stator windings are used.
>
>That would be some undertaking since you are in actuality locking
>the rotor in a stalled position while sliding it in and out.

The rotor is slid in and out, IIRC, not rotated. The shaft must of course be
long enought to do this.

> It would seem to me you would burn out the windings.

The windings are open circuit. You can remove them. The Iron in the rotor
simply provides a low reluctance path for magnetic flux, increasing
inductance of the stator coil when inserted.

>>The central problem for our Tesla-coiling context. You must have a
>>mechanism for controlling energy (the semiconductor op-amp) for >its
>application. And that is power dissipative. Inductors save >their energy
>in the magnetic field, then release it. Your gyrator >would function as a
>resistor, requiring massive hot power >transistors to be any fun.
>
>No, a gyrator doesn't quite work that way.

I believe the gyrators I've seen do.

> The energy in the gyrator is
>stored in the electrostatic field of the capacitor.
>The operational amplifier is used to create the phase shift required for
>the capacitor to appear electronically as an inductor.
>Yes semiconductors are used to steer the electrons but the amount of
>energy dissipated by the semiconductors is negligible.

Are you sure of this? You asked for a schematic of an op-amp. They are
typicaly fancy arrays of differential amplifiers.