[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC behavior with AC TC

At 01:15 PM 12/25/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Tesla List wrote:
>
>> I have discovered that my Telsa coil, under certain conditions, can not
>> only drive a pop-bottle electrostatic motor (see William Beaty's site
>> for design details), but also feed a working charge to my Van De Graaff.
>
>> Anyone else been intrigued by this sort of politically incorrect
>> behavior? Explanations and comments welcomed.
>
>Apparently, sparks/corona occur more easily in one direction than in
>other.
>Negative electricity escapes to the air more easily than "positive
>electricity",
>because electrons move more easily than the lack of them ("holes").
>I would expect a lot of negative electricity around an operating Tesla
>coil.
>But the charges can be positive also, because negative charges escape
>more
>easily from objects under the influence of the electric field of a Tesla
>coil. Anyway, this explains what you observe. Did you verify the
>polarity
>of the charge in the Van de Graaff and in the active terminal of the
>motor?
>
>Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

In my last paper "Modeled and Actual Voltage and Current Waveforms within a
Tesla Coil" at:

www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/experiments.html

The two last actual waveforms show this effect.  After the arc burst, there
is about a 20kV residual positive charge left on the top terminal.  I would
agree with Antonio that this is caused by negative charges being more
likely to arc away than positive charges.  In the last graph (Top Terminal
Voltage and Current to the Arc), you can see this effect in action if you
look closely.

	Terry