[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC behavior with AC TC

"All of the above has been duly noted on this list many times.  It was
formally published in the "Electric Spacecraft Journal" about 5 years
ago by
myself and Dave Sharpe.

 AC Tesla coils while sparking in air supply DC currents to isotropic
capacities which, with reference to ground, and can charge capacitors,
run
motors, etc.  We have put all this on our video report tapes on and off
over
the last 4 years.  We have also demonstrated this at every one of our
Teslathons for the past 3 years.

Richard Hull, TCBOR"

	As Richard notes, such effects are well known to anybody who has played
around with even a small TC.  The assymetric breakdown voltage of spark
gaps of different shapes has been known and described in the literature
for well over a century.  There is no question that significant
rectification can occur when a gas discharge occurs between terminals of
different shapes (say a sharp point and a plane or spherical surface),
and commercial rectifiers (Raytheon type BH was widely used in
"B-Battery eliminators) based on this phenomenon were sold during the
1920's.  Discharge was usually in helium at low pressures, but principal
is the same.

Ed