[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fair Radio Sales HV cap---cool with liquid N2?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> I'd like to be able to use one of these caps in my next coil, but I'm
> concerned about the dielectric heating. I had the idea of immersing it
> in liquid nitrogen. Do you think it would work?
>
> --
>            --Mr. Postman (Doug Brunner)
>                 <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>

	Getting the LN2 container would be a big and expensive deal, unless you
are already so equipped.  Around the LA area none of the dealers will
dispense LN2 to anything but a commercial dewar flask, even though a
styrofoam picnic jug is reported to be adequate for a week-end's vacuum
pump cold trap cooling.

	However, strongly suspect that if you dunked one of those in the LN2
you would experience mechanical failure due to thermal expansion.  Of
course, they're not too expensive and we'd all like to hear of the
results.

Ed