[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

cleaning up a neon

----------
From:  Kevin Wahila [SMTP:wawa-at-spectra-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, February 05, 1998 4:42 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  cleaning up a neon

well, a couple of weekends ago i melted the tar from my then unfunctioning
12kV/30mA neon.  eager to see if it worked after unpotting it, i hooked it
up and it did!  i was really happy, although the thing was really dirty and
covered in about and 1/8" of tar still.  so, i put it in a metal bucket and
covered it with gasoline.  let it sit for 4 days and i just took it out
about an hour ago.  after wiping away the dissolved tar and gasoline, it
looks at least 200% better and is virtually spotless!  i am really
impressed.  i figure it could shine if i put it in a fresh gasoline bath,
but i don't think i am going to go that far.  before i test it again, i am
going to let it sit for several more days so that all the gasoline will
evaporate, thus reducing the risk of fire!  as of yet, i am still not sure
if i am going to submerse it in oil or not.  my funds are getting low and i
have to stop working during the upcoming lacrosse season.  i'm kinda sad
that i'm going to have to put things on hold for about three-four months.
my coil isn't even funcioning now so i won't be able to just turn it on for
pleasure every once in a while.

bye now,
kevin