[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Vacuum Tubes for spark gap (fwd)

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 19:51:17 -0500
From: "Alfred C. Erpel" <aerpel-at-op-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Vacuum Tubes for spark gap

Hello All,

    I was wondering if there are inexpensive vacuum tubes that have internal
plates spaced a suitable distance so that you could just pick up the two
connections to these plates only and connect the appropriate number of tubes
in series in this way so that you have the total proper distance spark gap.

    1) is there any reason you couldn't use a vacuum tube(s) in this way?
Perhaps power limitations through the prongs?
    2) assuming you could use vacuum tubes in this way, would they
automatically quench at the resonant frequency of the circuit?  If not,
would they quench at a faster rate than any air gap can be made to quench.
    3) assuming this works, this would be real quiet, right?

    I understand that vacuum tubes are alive and well in the former Soviet
Union, since they never abandoned (moved past) this technology.

Regards,
Alfred Erpel