[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strange Spark Phenomena

----------
From:  Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Monday, February 09, 1998 3:28 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Strange Spark Phenomena

Edward V. Phillips wrote:

>         I usually see the following.  More or less straight bright
> blue spark for a couple of inches, at which point in branches into
> a number of purple sparks which fan out around the point where
> the blue spark ends.

This is the typical positive corona. I have seen it in electrostatic
machines of all kinds. And if you look carefully to brighs sparks to
grounded objects, you will notice that the initial segment of the spark
(close to the positive terminal) is always straight, as the initial
section of the corona brush. The negative side is irregular.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
mailto:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq