[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sync RSG and hot resistors

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 10, 1998 11:55 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Sync RSG and hot resistors

<< snip>  The rotating screw
> electrodes get plenty of cooling by virtue of their rotation, and the
> stationary electrodes are massively heatsinked.   My cap is .01 uF.

> Since going to the sync RSG, it's clear my cap is charging to a much
> higher voltage, evidenced by arcing between my outermost primary turn to
> strike rail.  I've since removed the outermost turn.

Gary,

The gap seems very good to me.  And it's a good sign that the cap
is charging to a high voltage, which should result in good output, see
below.

> I made a new discovery last night.  The secondary tap that was correct
> for my static gap system is no longer right, I've had to move out 1-2
> turns.  My theory is that the higher voltage bangs are creating a denser
> ion cloud about my toroid, lowering the secondary Fres.

> My top load is two toroids - a 4.5" x 15.5" plus a 6" x 22" unit.  With
> the static gaps only, a nail on the 6" x 22" unit would produce a
> singular breakout from that point.  Now with the sync RSG, I get a
> breakout from the nail, plus from several other places as well.  This also
> suggests a much higher cap voltage per bang.  The surface of the 6" x 22"
> unit is just the corrugated aluminum dryer duct.  My next task is to smooth
> it out.  I'm wondering if it needs to be bigger still?

> With the corrected tuning, I'm now seeing 40" discharges, still not the
> 43" performance I had with the static gaps.  In addition to being
> somewhat shorter, they are less bright, but much LOUDER.

Yes, I think you need a little larger toroid...large enough so you get
only one streamer breakout.  Whenever I've added enough power to
obtain multiple breakout's, my sparks shortened, and required a larger
toroid to return to one streamer which was then longer than before.
However, my toroid was 6" by 26" using one 15kV, 60mil tranny, and
I obtained one breakout, by using a bump on the toroid.  See next
paragraph.

Sometimes, by adjusting the coupling looser, you can return to one
streamer breakout, and gain a longer spark in that way.  Also, now
that you're using the rotary, you may be able to tighten the coupling,
and use a larger toroid...Perhap?

Have you tried tuning outward one half to one more turn?  Sometimes
that helps to get rid of the multiple streamers.

I think in your previous posting, you mentioned that the sync phase
adjustment wasn't that critical.  I too find that it is not really too
critical (within 1/4" arc on a 4" dia. using my 3600rpm gap.  An 1800
rpm gap may be twice as critical arc-wise -- that's degree type rotational
arc for phase adjustment, not spark arcs)

> I'm wondering
> if I add another four rotating electrodes for 240 pps, how that would
> affect things.  Has anyone else tried a sync 240 pps system?

Well, I've tried 240, 360, and 480 pps systems, but I didn't like them
very much, seemed to be inefficient.  Sync and 120 BPS seem to be
happy together.  Also the neon tranny might not be able to charge the
cap 240 times per second, but don't let me discourage you from trying it.

> Still no progress or clues on why my R's are toasting, unless my NST and
> cap are so powerfully resonant that it can pull >400 ma from that puny
> 60 ma secondary.

I wouldn't think that more than 120ma or so should be drawn?  But I've
never used the resistors, so I have no basis for comment.

What about the 1/2" stretching of the spark at the gap electrodes, is this
still
occuring?

John Freau