[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Can you have too much air through a SG?

----------
From:  Mike Harrison [SMTP:wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 11, 1998 11:55 AM
To:  tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Can you have too much air through a SG?

I've just built a R.Quick style cylindrical gap for my first coil,
using a 4" pipe and 22mm copper tubes, with a VERY powerful 9" EBM
centrifugal fan I had lying around, boxed up to route the air through
the PVC pipe. If I had a tennis ball handy, it'd probably float on the
airflow - seriously windy!
Obviously you can never have too much cooling, but can excessive
airflow impair gap performance? - I'll be initially running 7KV at
about 30mA from a conventional (i.e. not neon) transformer , hopefully
9KV when I can get a microwave tranny to put in series.
Do I need to put a speed control on the fan?
   _/ L_/  Mike Harrison / White Wing Logic / wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk  _/ L_/
 _/ W_/  Hardware & Software design / PCB Design / Consultancy  _/ W_/
/_W_/  Industrial / Computer Peripherals / Hazardous Area      /_W_/