[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

130kW Coil -- Oh No!

----------
From:  Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 11, 1998 5:43 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: FW: 130kW Coil -- Oh No!

- snip -
<< At least the first few times.
 As for the coke bottle shape, it is a nice for aerodynamics, but not
essential
 for dealing with sonic shockwaves. It does help make things go fast, but
 cannot push the supersonic envelope, or better shepard an object through it.
 One example is the concerns about the fighter plane design as they are
applied
 to the sport of international unlimited land speed racing. Five time record
 holder Craig Breedlove first used the coke bottle design for his jet car to
go
 600 mph. in the 60's, and it remains in a refined form in his car today. It
 was a British team, however, that was the first to take a land based vehicle
 (another jet car) to supersonic speed for the first time in history just this
 past October. As Greg can testify (we were both lucky enough to witness it),
 it was hardly curvilinear in design, but quite stable nonetheless.
 Accomodating sonic shockwaves from a theoretical standpoint quicky can become
 an intractable and undemonstratable problem. Fortunately, there are a few
 adventurers available that happen to go out and try it so the rest of us can
 watch the results from a safe distance.

 Cheers - L. Pine >>

L. Pine,

I appologize in advance - I know this is off topic - but I was very interested
to see film of this on TV when it was happening but never have seen it.  Did
it produce a shockwave?  How loud?  How far away were you?

Thanks,  Ed Sonderman