[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NST Max Ratings and Mains Resonance (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:54:09 -0500
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Cc: MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz, Wysock-at-courier8.aero-dot-org
Subject: NST Max Ratings and Mains Resonance

Bill, Malcolm, and other interested coilers,
Besides the resonant rise that Malcolm mentions, there is also
the fact that when the main cap and the transformer are set to
resonate at the mains frequency, the transformer is capable
of providing current levels that are several times the usual
'current-limited' value. If the wire in the secondary is too
thin, then you can actually burn out the secondary winding
under these mains-resonant conditions.

Thus, with the proper resonant conditions a 15KV 60 MA
NST can charge the mains cap up to voltages in excess of
40KV, and at a rate that is much greater than the 60 MA
rating would suggest. Note that both the extra voltage and
extra current can contribute to the NST failing prematurely.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee