[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Skin effect and aluminum question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:40:26 -0700 (MST)
From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-sophie.bolix-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Skin effect and aluminum question

Greetings,

I have seen it mentioned on the list that aluminum is a poor choice of
conductor because the oxide layer that forms on the surface is an
insulator, and that if, for example, your oxide layer is 0.001" thick and
your frequency is such that you only have current going through the top
0.006" of the conductor, you will then lose 1/6 of your available conductor.

However, I fail to see the difference between Al2O3 on the surface acting
as an insulator and a coat of varnish on the surface.  Both the Al2O3
coating and the varnish coating don't conduct, and are unaffected by
magnetic fields.

Can anyone convince me that I'm wrong?  I am aware that the aluminum
conductor may provide more resistance at connections because the
electricity has to penetrate the oxide layer though.

Thanks!

Chip