[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The Pig Uncovered

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Sunday, February 15, 1998 11:23 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: The Pig Uncovered

Hi Greg,

All excellent questions deserving good answers. First of all, they
wind these things with a sufficiently large wire diameter to stay
within a specified temperature limit, even with non-sinusoidal
current draw at full RMS load. Anyone looked at the current
waveforms of a microwave oven lately? ;)
     To aid in reducing resistance in the windings, heavy wire with
as few turns as possible is the goal. But few turns requires a high
induction factor in the core or the magnetizing current is going to
be a significant fraction of the full load current - highly
undesirable as it means the transformer would sit there wasting power
in copper losses just to magnetize the core. So, a large core volume
is required and the fewer the turns, the larger the core mass has to
be. Additionally, the windings have to fit so to maintain core
volume, core dimensions must be adjusted to allow the copper +
insulation to fit on the core.
    It is obvious that with no cooling oil, the thing would overheat
if run to its spec with the copper mass they have put in the
windings. Oil costs a lot less than copper so a large amount of oil
to carry the heat away is mandated. This also requires radiating area
in the surface of the container.
    Transformer design is an interesting area. You can see the
various tradeoffs occurring both in the engineering and the cost.
It appears that cost governs how the final product turns out. I
design transformers for switchmode power supplies on occasions. The
challenge is fun and involves producing the smallest transformer for
required throughput that you can get away with. That includes keeping
temperature rise to an acceptable level to avoid messing up the
properties of the core.

Malcolm