[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC enfeeblement (deliberate)

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, February 19, 1998 9:31 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: TC enfeeblement (deliberate)

<< snip>
>   All in all everything checks out except the spark lengths. The program
> spark lengths would be less because they are controlled spark lengths.
> However, I would not expect them to be only 42% of the random spark lengths.

John

Thanks for plugging the parameters into your program,  I expected
that the parameters such as inductance, frequency, etc. would be easily
predicted by the program.  When i mentioned that I didn't think most
computer programs could predict the performance, I was refering only
to free air spark lengths with occasional strikes to various objects.

I've dismantled the coil at the moment to do some tube coil work,
unfortunately I don't have the room to keep multiple projects set up
and working simultaneously (also, i tend to borrow parts from one
coil for another).  I'll put the controlled spark length tests on my
to-do list.

>   Could you test the two systems with controlled spark lengths? Also, How
> did you measure the 640 watts input for both systems? I would expect the
> input watts to  change because of the change in pri surge impedance.

I used a lab type wattmeter, and adjusted my variac setting to obtain
equal wattage inputs for both coils.  The inferior coil does seem to draw the
640 watts at a lower variac setting, even after adjusting ballasting and
sync gap phase for best performance, probably due to the lower surge
impedance as you suggested.

>   Your tests are very important for developing a complete TC program like
> the JHCTES program. Unfortunately very few coilers make these comparison
> tests. A comparison test showing all of the changes is the only way to make
> a valid test.

I agree that comparisons are important and I'm always hopeful that more
coilers will begin to make more comparisons.

John Freau