[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitors,how to ?

----------
From:  Alan Sharp [SMTP:100624.504-at-compuserve-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, February 20, 1998 6:06 PM
To:  INTERNET:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Capacitors,how to ?

Justin wrote.

Message text written by INTERNET:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Also I have a 2Kv microwave xfrmr and I have been told to
use a 0.90uF capacitor rated at 2500v. I thought this was a bit large but I
don't know the current it gives. <

Domestic microwaves are about 1kW so your transformer should give
about 500mA. But low voltage means very narrow gaps and together with
large currents this gives gaps that are hard to quench.
2 microwave xfrmrs are better.
0.9uf is a bit high - 0.3uf is more like it but the voltage rating should
be
at least 4 times the supply voltage.

I'd work with your 10kV xfrmr just now and wait till you get a 2nd
microwave
xfrmr. And ideally a third for current limiting.

Alan Sharp UK.

My web site is at:
http://ourworld-dot-compuserve-dot-com/homepages/AlanSharp