[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Modeling a magnifier

----------
From:  richard hull [SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, February 23, 1998 7:56 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Modeling a magnifier

At 07:26 PM 2/23/98 -0600, you wrote:

>----------

We assembled two different systems which equivalent systems.

One was tightly coupled (k~.5) and one moderately coupled (for a maggey) K~.36.

In all cases the same series gap was used.  The key was found in different
geometries!

An 18" resonator coil was cut in half and one half was isolated and coupled
by itself to .36 with a primary and the other half set up as a resonator 4
feet away.  The performed OK with this split setup, but was not stunning.
Next, the resonator was set atop the driver secondary, otherwise, nothing
was changed.  The coupling was now measured as .22 with the whole resonator
as a two coil system.  When fired, the spark length was reduced by about 25%.

This is why most Tesla folks who really think that the magnifier is just
three coils are doomed to failure.

The second system was of a more magnifier geometry with separately wound coils.
The driver was 12" in diameter wound with #14 wire (1.1mh) and 6" tall with
a coupling of K=.5 with the primary.  The resonator was a 12" tall 2"
diameter item with #32 wire. (~14mh).  We toploaded the small coil with a
20X5 toroid.

This test system was tough to feed the same power to in both modes of
operation and problems developed with coupling the small coil up as a two
coil system.

The maggey had 4 foot spark issue at about 1kw.

When setting the system up to couple the small coil as a two coil
equivalent, we had a real problem in that the small coil arced over its
entire length until removed to a larger vertical distance. The coupling at
this point was only .26 overall, but the little resonator still flashed
occasionally.  The spark at the same adjusted power was just over 2' with
lots of flashing.

We never did another test, as this was more than enough to prove Tesla
correct. In addition, it vindicated that for a given unit of power, the
magnifier could indeed produce more spark in the hands of folks who
understood the geometries required.

Richard Hull, TCBOR