[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Trannies, xfrmrs, and Transformers

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 25, 1998 12:59 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Trannies, xfrmrs, and Transformers

<< snip
> Oh, and just to vent a pet peeve about sloppy use of technical
> terminology often found here on this list while on the subject.  While I've
> noted that all cars come with a 'tranny', I've yet to see a
> commercial neon sign which contained one!

> Robert W. Stephens >>

Robert,

I for one welcomed the abreviation "tranny" when I first saw it.  It
gave a nice break for my fingers to be able to type tranny rather
than transformer over and over again.  I even use the term in my
notes, again to save time and effort.  But to me tranny has a nice ring to
it and the automotive association doesn't bother me.  I'm fully in
favor of using various abreviations on the Tesla list as long as we
all know what they mean, and we have fun doing it.  The goal is
effective communication.  We could use xfrmrs, if I got that right,
but it seems so cold and dismal    :)    It's a thought though, and
short too.

John Freau