[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strange Spark Phenomena

----------
From:  richard hull [SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, January 31, 1998 6:53 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Strange Spark Phenomena

At 02:32 PM 1/31/98 -0600, you wrote:

>----------

Ed brings up an interesting point.

I, too, have noted this effect on my large Morris and Lee generator.  This
is why I am not totally convinced that the Tesla coil spark/sine timing or
pulse train variations are the culprit.

I also hold that the spark channel, whether AC or DC generated, and when in
action, is a closed resonant system in and of itself!  It has very high peak
currents setup in a conductor (ionized plasma) of fixed length (spark
length)  It has both inductance and capacitance.  The arc's self-resonant
frequency is in the UHF range!  We might be seeing reflected power or nodes
in this ultra short wave region based on a number of dynamic sliding
impedances, but mostly the source impedance (tesla coil resonator and the
instantaneous state of the terminal capacitance whether static machine or
Tesla coil.

Richard Hull