[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(Bizarre) Strange Spark Phenomena

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 04, 1998 8:36 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: (Bizarre) Strange Spark Phenomena

<< snip> The right angle aspect is probably due to a
> magnetic repulsion of the small corona breakouts, (which
> have their own intrinsic magnetic fields,) from the dominant
> magnetic field in the main streamer core.  Since your coil is
> capable of "stacatto" mode, try giving the coil a single shot.
>snip>>

Bill Wysock

Bill,

Thanks for your hypotheses and observations.  BTW, I forgot
to mention that I saw these effects in staccato mode, I only
obtain the "one swordlike spark" in staccato mode.  I varied the
pulse rate from about 1 pulse per second to about 15 pulses per
second, and the side sparks were seen at all these times.  At
higher pulse rates, multiple main trunk sparks are seen due to
eye's persistance of vision, i.e. the spark looks like a normal
tube coil's sparks.  Interestingly, the spark length does not
change as the pulse rate is varied.  I suspect that the rate is
too slow, and the power too limited, to cause much ion
persistance in the air.  Maybe today, I'll get a chance to observe
it more closely.

John Freau