[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Raise the Secondary?

----Original Message-----
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com <terryf-at-verinet-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 1:28 PM
Subject: Raise the Secondary?

I just have to add my 2 cents worth. :-))

        I also believe that being able to carefully adjust the coupling
coefficient is very important.  We are unable to predict when the proper
quench point will occur without actual testing at this time.  My tests
suggest that tuning the coupling is just as important as tuning Fo.  I feel
John's program should give more consideration to coupling as I have
mentioned before.
        One area that computer modeling can really improve is in the primary
circuit design.  I have found that just wiring together a neon with a few
chokes without careful consideration can destroy the neon and other
components as well as waste power.  I am now working on designs that can
greatly improve energy transfer and double the primary energy.  The neon and
other components are operated within their specifications at all times so
they should never fail.  Unfortunately, wiring these high performance
circuits together using trial and error techniques would be disastrous.
These very high performance charging networks need to be designed on a
computer first.  The networks are well beyond any hand calculation methods.
Also, fault conditions can be modeled to find ways to protect the circuits
without the need for messy trial and error methods.  One would not want to
design for secondary strikes to the primary circuits on anything other than
a computer.
        We need help of both hands on and computer people to design coils.
If one just does computer simulations without any real data to keep them on
track, they will end up with useless data.  Likewise, if one ignores the
data the computer simulations show, you may miss out on more power and blow
all your stuff up when it isn't necessary.  One advantage of John's program
is that people just starting out can be guided away from doing anything
terribly wrong and they can get a feel for what is going on by using the
program (There are other programs around too.  I don't mean to mention just
John's program.  John does that just fine all by himself :-))).
        We need all kinds of people doing their own things to really make
the best coils.  None of us can work in a vacuum without all kinds of
different outside ideas and information and still be able to build truly
great coils.  For many that cannot build their own real coils, the computer
still allows them to build virtual coils that can be every bit as
interesting and important as a real coil.  There are many that have never
touched a computer (we never here from them :-)) who do just fine with their
"seat of the pants" coils too.  However, to really bring it all together and
make a super coil takes someone who can collect and use all the available
information.

        Terry Fritz

At 11:01 PM 6/30/98 -0500, you wrote:

Or