[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Poly Caps

----------
From:  Michael Baumann [SMTP:baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu]
Sent:  Friday, July 03, 1998 3:32 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Poly Caps

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Tesla List wrote:

> 	Some large diameter pipe is available, constructed of HDPE.  I've
> been having a bit of trouble finding a coilform for a large coil I have in
> the works, and I've just become aware of this.  I'll bet HDPE is an absolutely
> ideal coilform material.  I'm going to do a sec'y in the 16 - 20 inch range,
> about 48-60 in tall.
>
> 	If no one is aware of probs with HDPE coilforms, I suggest that
> those of you looking for larger coilforms try commercial pipe shops
> specializing in sewer mains...that's where I found some.  Unfortunately,
> I'm still looking for an appropriate scrap (it comes in 40 foot lengths...
> :-(

I have a 6" HDPE coil that has been a rather nice performer (34" with
a pair of 12KV 30ma neons) The wall is only 1/4" on mine though.

> Also tends to be thick-walled and very heavy; one example of a 20 inch
> specimen had a 0.6 inch thick wall, and the guy said it was 16 lbs/foot!!
> On this basis, it might be a bit impractical unless one could find thinner
> stock.  Anybody out there finding large diameter PVC??

I have a form waiting for the funds to wind. 18" PVC, the section
I have is about 80" long, and wieghs in somewhere around 70 lbs.

--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center
San Bernardino, California. (909)799-8308 |Internet: baumann-at-llumc.edu