[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE>Aluminum foil toroids (f (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 07 Jul 1998 11:48:48 -0700
From: Dale Hall <Dale.Hall-at-trw-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE>Aluminum foil toroids (f

RE>Aluminum foil toroids (fwd)

Hi Jim,

Where are you located ?   How big is your coil ?
Here in Redondo Beach, Calif., Home Depot stocks 8'  AL ducting from 3"- 8".
It works fine but dents easily (doesn't look as cool) but functions fine & is light.
The larger the diameter the less affect of surface imperfections.

Terry Fritz would like the smoothest surface, others don't like AL at the high
arc frequencies (MHz), but in my experience large diameters AL or Galvanized
make up for any lack in smoothness or poorer skin affect conductivity. The
performance difference is "in the noise" unless you are a purest. (I don't recommend AL tape/foils unless you can assure large area electrical contact)

Note AL and Galvanized are relatively inexpensive and commonly available.
AL dryer ducts go for ~$8 to $17(8") for 8'. Galvanized elbows: ~$16-$45(12") (four), note the prices are not necessarily linear with diameter. (big often=less)
High use diameters are less....and sales abound !!

I recommend you try galvanized furnace ducts. Four 90 degree elbows.
I use 8" and 12 " versions.  Use sheet metal screws for mechanical rigidity.
They are heavier than AL but much tougher. They are available in various thickness' ranging from ~28 (home version) to ~22 (industrial strength & weight)
I like large ones and use breakout points as necessary.

Dale,  Redondo Reach, Calif