[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Alternate coil form design (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 07:50:50 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Alternate coil form design (fwd)

> Might it be feasible to make a form out of sheet plexiglas? What I had in
> mind was a paddlewheel-shaped form made by gluing maybe eight pieces of
0.1
> or 0.125 sheet stock into a slotted polystyrene center rod. I think it
would
> be easy to make a jig for a table saw to make straight slots 45 degrees
> apart. Would such a octogonal form work, or would the corners try to
spray
> corona? If this would work, it would be pretty inexpensive, and the loss
> might be lower than a cylinder of relatively thick PVC.
>
> Terry

Not only that, but it would look pretty nifty. I would take a square rod
for the center, and knock off the corners on the same table saw to make it
octagonal as well. I don't think the loss of the form is really all that
significant, compared to other losses in the system, Winding your secondary
on something tubular is so much easier than almost any other shape. Winding
onto a non-round object is a real pain, because the wire doesn't run out
smoothly as you are winding. Remember, you're going to be winding hundreds,
if not thousands of feet.