[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier coupling measurements, new (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:36:05 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Magnifier coupling measurements, new (fwd)

Hi John,
           Thanks for the further measurements of magnifier k's. I
have two comments:  Firstly, the overall k of my system was almost an
order of magnitude below the driver itself because the driver
secondary had such a small fraction of total secondary inductance.
Driver Ls was about 350uH and resonator around 7mH if memory serves
me sufficiently.

<snip>
> Figuring the effective or actual coupling based on a 28uS beat, gives
> k = 0.07 which is quite a low figure.  But it compares well with Malcolm's
> results where his 0.54 driver k fell to k = 0.086 actual overall system k.

<more snip>
> Also interesting was the appearance of the secondary (?) waveform.
> It did not show normal energy transfers, but rather had a flat
> shape (except at the beginning), but I may have been picking
> up some of the extra coil's energy, and this may have given a false
> appearance to this waveform?

I think you may be picking up some of the primary. I too found this
problem confused my results until I realised what was happening and
repositioned the probe and coils.  ?perhaps?

Thanks for an exceedingly interesting post.

Regaards,
Malcolm
<snip>