[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 23:37:10 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

  Richard, et al -

  I agree the TC operating conditions are different from the instrumented
conditions. The capacitance due to streamer loading, etc. would change the
capacitance (Cs) of the secondary circuit and change the operating
frequency. However, my tests indicate this change is very small.

  A much larger change in capacitance occurs when the toroid, etc . is
mounted on the TC. The change in toroid capacitance from the calculated free
space capacitance can be as much as 30%. This can create a large change in
operating frequency. The calculated free space capacitance should not be
used to calculate the operating frequency without a correction for the
toroid being mounted on the TC.

  My TC computer program ignores the streamer loading, etc, capacitance
because I did not have this information when the program was being
developed. However, the tuning indicated  by the program varies little from
the actual tuning of the operating coil when the corrected free space
capacitance of the toroid is used. This would indicate the streamer loading,
etc. capacitance has little effect.

  Do you (or R. Hull) have any test data that would show how much the
streamer loading, etc. capacitance is and how much it affects the operating
frequency after the toroid mounting capacitance change is taken into
consideration? As I indicate above the operating frequency change for only
the streamer loading, etc. should be very small.

  I like to look at the longest sparks as the condition where the TC input
energy equals the output energy plus the losses. When the losses are the
lowest the maximum energy appears in the secondary circuit and the sparks
are the longest. In other words the longest sparks happen when the maximun
energy at the maximum potential occurs on the topload. The length of the
first spark depends on the potential and additional sparks are then modified
by the ionozation of the air. The energy and potential are related by
    Joules = 1/2 Cs Vs^2
This should be multiplied by an efficiency if one can be determined.
Note that a large amount of power can mean large currents and low potential
producing short sparks.

  John Couture