[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie questions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:27:52 -0700
From: Terry Perdue <terryp-at-halcyon-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Newbie questions

Could someone explain what "first notch quenching" is? I am also trying to
understand why it's apparently recommended that the spark gap be placed
across the NST, and the series-connected cap and primary across that. On the
small NST-driven coils I built as a kid (from plans I found somewhere), the
cap and gap swapped places, and I had good results, never lost an NST, etc.
In fact, why couldn't the NST and gap be placed in series across a primary
tank? Dumb questions, probably, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can
while I accumulate parts, and before I start building.

Terry