[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Request for math (ballasting) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:12:03 -0600
From: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Request for math (ballasting) (fwd)

to: Mike

It probably won't work very well.  You need ideally a closed C-core with a
0.120 inch gap and around 130-140 turns for a total series inductance of
around 40 milliHenries.  Your open core would requires a large magnitude
more turns -- probably around 1,000 and then still might require a series
resistance of 0.5 Ohm.  The straight core inductors do not work very well
-- we made one years ago and have long since switched to the gapped C-core
design.  We also still use a 0.5 Ohm series resistance to smooth of the
sharp peak loads.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com