[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:07:05 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

  John F. -

  Your troubles with coupling and quenching illustrates what I mean when I
say that today's Tesla coil designers/builders should take advantage of the
experiences of what past builders have found that will work. For example, if
you follow their advice for coupling regarding a particular coil, the coil
and quenching will operate correctly because they have already determined
the proper conditions. As I have said before, I have collected this type of
information and used it to develop a TC computer program. The program will
get you in the ballpark. It is up to you to improve on the design.

  I agree with you that every coiler should review, study, and understand
the wealth of information available on the Tesla List. This information
represents the experiences of many modern coilers. I have spent a lot of
time also collecting this information and sifting thru it to come up with
design criteria for creating classical Tesla coils that work.

  The coupling for Tesla coils is an important parameter because if it is
too high the coil will not operate properly or at all. I agree that if the
quenching is too tight that quenching will not work as it should. This
agrees with what past coilers have found. The coupling depends on over a
dozen other TC parameters. It is a ratio of mutual inductance divided by the
sqrt of the primary inductance times the secondary inductance. It is obvious
that with these inductances that many variables are involved. These
variables must be coordinated or the Tesla coil will not operate correctly
including the quenching. With a properly designed TC the quenching will
occur at a time long after the spark leaves the toroid at the first transfer.

  John Couture