[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Delta Fo (was How to raise secondary) Ion clouds (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 13:44:54 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Delta Fo (was How to raise secondary) Ion clouds

To get the ion density up to where it starts to make any real contribution
to the conductivity of the air (and hence can make the effective size
bigger) requires an air temperature on the order of 5000K, at which point
the ionization will be obvious, because it will be glowing literally white
hot.  The ion density (and hence the conductivity) of air at 1 atmosphere
pressure is a real step function of temperature. below a few thousand K,
there is nothing to speak of, above 7000K, it is almost all ionized, and
the transition is pretty fast.  This is why sparks appear to have sharp
edges. The current really only flows in the part that is hot and glowing,
which heats the hot and glowing part even more.

If you reduce the pressure, you can start to get an appreciable ionization
from the E field, without resorting to the high temperatures.