[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Delta Fo (was How to raise secondary) Ion clouds (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 18:25:42 -0400
From: Richard Hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Delta Fo (was How to raise secondary) Ion clouds (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Gentlemen,

We do not need real high current conduction to grossly affect the Ctop issue.
We don't even need small milliamp conduction!  Both would just shunt the coil
out!   We only need the alteration of the gas about the system to effect big
relative changes during ringup up of the next pulse.  The 33 millisecond old
prior arc channel is still quite hot ionically and this is why the arc
persisits for a while. (multiple fire throughs of the same arc channel.).

When one consideres a plasma, regardless of pressure, the internal plasma /
ion  temperature is a function of the potential gradient developed across the
plasma.  If we assume only a lowly10 volt gradient through the entire arc
between, say, the terminal at one polarity and the target of the opposite
polarity during max current flow, then we are looking at 10 x ~11,000 (number
of degrees kelvin in a plasma per electron volt) or  110,000 degrees kelvin
for the ions at the very core of the arc channel!!  It is probably much much
hotter.  The real weird thing is that that is indeed at the real world honest
to god "hot" heat due to being near atmospheric pressure.

My deuterium loaded fusor easily hits 20,000 volts x ~11,000 or 220 million
degrees kelvin in the little 1/2" diameter poissor, but that is a cold heat
due to the 1 micron pressure.

Richard Hull, TCBOR