[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Materials (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:06:02 -0700
From: Jim Lux <James.P.Lux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Primary Materials (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
tubing is always a challenge to wind. I have had the best luck coiling
it around a form of about the right size as a solenoid, and then
carefully working it into the slots from the center out, gradually
uncurling it to accomodate the increasing radius..

The other scheme is to make a form that looks like a short spool (just
long enough to hold the tubing) with very long flanges, and then winding
the tubing into the slot. Remove one of the flanges and then take your
pancake of tubing out and lay it into the slots.

 After struggling with about 6 turns
> I called it quits and removed the tubing. Yesterday's fiasco has swayed me
> to winding the primary with coax. Now, will using coax reduce coil
> performance?
Yes, a bit, because the braid of the coax (which is what I assume you
are using) has all those little wires creating corona heaven.

I thought maybe eventually I could try tubing again and
> replace it if it does. Do you use both coax conducters or just the outer
> sheilding? One the coil masters out there should write an article on
> primary winding (RQ seems pretty with that type of thing) Well, anyway, my
> completed coil or a link to some great operating pictures. I'm hoping for
> the later. Thanks Again,

TO get your coil going, why not use bare #12, #10, or #8 solid copper
wire. It is soft and easy to work with, and available at most hardware
stores. (You can usually get 50-100 ft of #12 as scrap at a construction
site, but you'll have to strip the insulation off: a single edge razor
blade is the fastest way. Clamp one end in a vise, and stretch it out
across the room.)