[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC powered tesla coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:09:19 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: DC powered tesla coil (fwd)

"1. I was wondering about charging the tank cap with DC voltage supplied
by a neon transformer and a half or full-wave rectifier. This would
allow charging larger caps with smaller transformer because the spark
gap wouldn't fire 50 or 60 times per second but less frequently, let's
say every second."

	Sure, good way to go.  You can also use a full-wave voltage doubler
from each half of the (center-tapped) secondary to get the full DC
voltage and full-wave charging.

"I guess that the peak power delivered to the coil
shouldn't be much different as it depends, IMO, on the peak voltage
before the spark gap fires and not how often this occurs."

	Depends on capacitance (assuming resonant primary) and peak DC voltage.