[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Gap Design (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:58:46 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: New Gap Design

Hello All,
            I have just completed what I think is a new gap design.
It is, as usual, a variation on a theme and was inspired by Terry and
Erik's posts on their series gaps. This design has the following
features:

   -  approx same length as a 15kV 60mA NST (makes for *very* short
      connecting leads :)
   -  incremental and continuously adjustable gap spacing. This
      allows 30 gaps to be used on 5kV system if desired. Of course
      any number of gaps may be tapped in as well. I have measured
      adjustability down to about 3kV given constructional tolerances.
   -  the same adjustability allows the gap to be adjusted so that
      sparks range over the length of the pipes. In my gap, pipe
      sections are 100mm long and 20mm diameter.
   -  the gap may be mounted for blowing and vacuum operation (I am
      planning to use vacuum as the el-cheapo fans seem to work better
      when sucking in unison rather than blowing.

I will post plans when time permits (ASCII art :(   Plan for tonight
is to test this on my benchtop magnifier and check quench
characteristics using a storage scope. The transformer will be the
5kV 30mA model (previous best with this and a single static gap set
to 7 - 8kV was in excess of a foot). Watch this space.

Experimentalmode/on.
Malcolm