[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Can't just change one thing! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 01:08:44 -0400
From: Richard Hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Can't just change one thing!

All,

At the TCBOM  (Tesla Coil Builders of Maryland) Teslathon last Sunday,
John Freau and I sat and talked about what we were doing and some of the
tests we have made in the past.  This follows Johns recent post on the
small wire coils.

We both laughingly admitted to ourselves that is is just about
impossible to change just one system variable of any kind over a decent
range in any tesla system.  That is, to check for precise effects.  We
can glean some basic info, but the other parameters of the system have
to track what we change.  If we change one thing a little , then we are
ok, but let us move something over a full range of adjustment, and if we
are still trying to keep apples separated from oranges, the whole thing
falls apart.  Make a big change in one thing and you must compensate
with a least one other variable and over an equally vast range, thus,
destroying any sense of uniformity in what the new effect or property
really relates to!   If we try and "share the load" by adjusting several
variables only a little, we are really leaping into the fire.  This is
especially true if we do indeed move the unknown over a wide range.

Thus, starting with a fixed system and then say going from no toroid to
a 60" diameter by 12" cross section unit will not leave us with any
meaningful data.  As we go, we must adjust the power input,  the tune
point by altering the resonator, the primary tap or the capacitance.
One or more changes in the above might mean increasing the rep rate or
even altering the gap.  In the end we have nothing resembling the start
point system and no real data other than an epiphany born of hands on
experience.

Those who have really worked with coils know exactly what John and I
were frustrated and amused over.

Richard Hull, TCBOR