[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help with a 30 kV primary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 01:27:58 -0400
From: Richard Hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Help with a 30 kV primary (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> of primary voltage and could give me some advice on it.  Besides
> not using it :) Example primary spacing for 10 turns of 3/8" copper
> tubing.  I went threw the archives and didn't find very much.  If all
> the responses are of a type "don't" I will just stick to using 24 kV
> and increase the primary break rate.
>
> Thanks
>
> Another day another 10' foot arc...
> Erik Schulz

Ideally, we should all strive for the absolute highest primary voltage
possible.  Tesla knew that.  The problem with voltage above 15KV is the
corona and arc over problem, plagues all such atmospheric assemblies.

The amateur really has little or no opportunity of geting a capacitor
that is a true pulse cap in the voltage range of such extreme primary
tensions.

Also the gapping must be really beefed up.  Mostly by insulation heroics
and number of active firing gaps.

Advantages are also many....... The heat load on the gap is often lower
than that of a similar powered low voltage gap (on a fixed drop/gap
basis)

The capacitance can be of a lower value for the same energy throughput.

I went to 22KV for all magnifier work on a big scale, and have little
difficulty hitting out to 10' with a .025ufd capactior.

If you have the "right stuff" I would go for it!

Richard Hull, TCBOR