[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help with a 30 kV primary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 05:39:10 EDT
From: Alfred A Skrocki <alfred.skrocki.sr-at-juno-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Help with a 30 kV primary (fwd)

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:52:44 EDT Erik Schulz
<ESchulz531-at-aol-dot-com> wrote;

>Hi,
>	I am using a 30kv 300ma transformer and a 20 NF 100kv cap.
>I was wandering if anybody on this mailing list has used this kind
>of primary voltage and could give me some advice on it.  Besides
>not using it :) Example primary spacing for 10 turns of 3/8" copper
>tubing.  I went threw the archives and didn't find very much.  If all
>the responses are of a type "don't" I will just stick to using 24 kV
>and increase the primary break rate.

Hi Erik, years ago I tried driving a Tesla coil with a 50KV 500 ma
potential transformer and it was a dismal failure! With such high primary
voltages it was difficult to get good spark gap quenching. You must
remember the old catch 22 of high primary voltages -
Sure higher primary voltages are an easy way to higher secondary
voltages, BUT The higher the voltage the higher the coronal losses and
the more difficult it is to acheave good quenching. It is a lot easier to
make a well functioning Tesla coil if you
keep your primary voltages UNDER 15KV ! BTW considering that the
breakdown voltage of air is about 30KV per centimeter, you would have to
keep all primary conductors several centimeters apart to prevent coronal
leakage and break-over.

                               Alfred A. Skrocki
                          Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                 Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at:
                  http://WWW.GeoCities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]