[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PVC Water Absorption: fallacy?

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Monday, June 01, 1998 5:58 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: PVC Water Absorption: fallacy?

Hi Richard, Bert, all,

The highest Q secondary I have ever wound was done on thickwall
unsealed PVC drainpipe - done totally against the common "wisdoms"
of which I knew nothing at the time. On measuring this coil with
great isolation I found that at 5% humidity, I hit an unloaded Q
of 320 odd and in a 50% humid atmosphere this dropped to 300.
Performance of this in a system is noticeably worse on a humid day
but I attribute that to the atmosphere and its ionization
characteristics, not the coil itself. A difference in Q of a few
percent cannot account for a 20% decline in maximum discharge length.
Moreover, discharge length does noticeably improve after running for
twenty seconds or so in the damper atmosphere but does not attain the
performance heights of working in a dry atmosphere.

Malcolm