[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

1/4 Wave Theories - What now?

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 02, 1998 4:53 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: 1/4 Wave Theories - What now?

Hi All,

I have actually done this with a number of coils and Cself does
diminish. I think there is a point where one runs into a law of
diminishing returns though. Typically, one still has a lead running
up to the base of the coil in order to drive it for measurement
purposes and this itself adds capacitance to the system. This is
precisely the problem Tesla ran into when trying to measure the
capacitance of elevated "isolated" spheres. They were never truly
isolated and Richard Hull made some interesting observations about
this in the Guide to the Notes. Perhaps he could say more about this.
Also, the further the coil is elevated, the smaller is the fractional
distance moved from ground.

Malcolm