[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First Uk Teslathon

----------
From:  Julian Green [SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 02, 1998 11:57 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: First Uk Teslathon

Thanks again Alan for the effort you and your wife made in hosting this
event.   It was great to see other coils and the solutions others had
come up with in the construction of their coils.

I was particually impressed with the coil that we had running last, I am
afraid I have forgotten the name of the person who built it.   It was wound
on a 4" tapered former and produced 42" point to point streamers.   I would
like to know the spec of this coil.  From memory it was powered by a current
limited transformer 8KV -at- 300mA, employed a Richard Quick type spark gap
and had 700 turns on the secondary.   Primary Cap 0.016uf home made cap.

Greg Hunter had a great coil which was built from bits from the kitchen
(accept the neon sign transformer) gave quite an impressive output and
used salt water caps.  Stolen his sons football and covered it in foil
for a discharge terminal.

Mike Harrison gave an interesting demonstration on how to strip the silver
coating off CDs using a tesla coil - supprisingly quicky.   Demonstriated
argon gas glowing in a plastic tube at atmospheric pressure.

Alan Sharp demonstraited his solid state coil that is configured like
a magnifier.   Spark length not very long (6 inches) but very fat and
hot.  Almost a silent discharge with strange chirping sounds.  When I
ran my coil either the earth current or just the E field coupling
caused Alans Solid State coil (6 feet away) to spark.

The smell of burning after running my coil was the variac.

Good fun!

Julian Green